Motor vehicle accidents and compensation

Can I recover compensation if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?
Yes. Upon registration of a motor vehicle, it is compulsory to take out Green Slip insurance which covers certain people involved in motor vehicle accidents.

What should you do if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?
If Police do not attend the scene, you need to notify Police of the accident within 28 days and lodge a Claim Form with the Green Slip insurer of the vehicle at fault within 6 months.

What if I am the driver at fault? Can I still make a claim for compensation?
Yes. You can lodge an Accident Notification Form with your Green Slip insurer which covers medical expenses and loss of wages up to $5,000.00. It is critical that the accident be reported to Police within 28 days and the ANF be lodged with your insurer within 28 days otherwise you cannot claim.

What if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident where nobody is at fault, for example where the driver is stung by a bee or hits a kangaroo?
Several years ago the Laws were changed so that certain persons involved in blameless accidents can claim compensation where nobody is at fault. You should see a Solicitor to see if you can claim for a blameless accident.

If I am involved in a motor vehicle accident, should I see a Solicitor and how much will it cost me?
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident we definitely recommend you consult a Solicitor as soon as possible. At Cater & Blumer there is no charge for the initial consultation and we nearly always act for clients on a “No Win No Fee” basis if we take the case on.

There is an ad on TV where the geese fly down and this causes the driver of a vehicle to have an accident. Can anyone make a claim in this situation?
Yes. This is a classic “blameless accident”. Everybody can make blameless accident claims except the driver who can make an ANF claim for up to $5,000.00.

Aired July 2013 on Radio 2RG Griffith